Bankers Life And Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

More Review Details

Helpful? 695 Yes 695 792 No 792
Had the same issue 378 Yes 378
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 05 #1043470

Very well stated. I am sure people will be benefited by your info. if used accordingly. Thanks.

Sep 30 #1041143

I have one today but they called me about my resume I submitted. They also sent me a confirmation email. I think they say dress well and bring you're resume because There are some people who may not have commen sense to do those things. professional. I've had other companies tell me the same.

Sep 24 #1038402

It is apparent that there is wide spread corruption, and lies from individuals within the insurance industry. One, wonders where are the state "Attorney Generals" and the federal government. Also, if you have the position that you are interested in and it does not include sales why aren't Monster, Career Builders, and the rest monitoring? Maybe they are selling everyone's information and nothing more. I wish the best for all that have issues for those that have had to deal with scammers.

1 1 Reply

Sep 22 #1037252

I only wish I had seen this prior. I was contacted by Bankers Life a few days ago for what I thought was an accounting position. At the time I thought nothing of what the receptionist had said in our very brief conversation. In retrospect,t I too was instructed to provide them a copy of my resume and dress business professional. I arrived early and sat down in the lobby. Then I saw a door open and they were speaking to 20 or so people about selling insurance. At that point I got up and walked out. To the person #1036840 thanks....

Sep 21 #1036840

I was contacted today for a interview...that is why I came to this site to seek out reviews on this

Sep 19 #1036000

I got a call from Melissa this morning saying she reviewed my resume I had to search and checked what kind of company this is. I'm glad I found this, instead of wasting my time at that interview.

Sep 16 #1034506

I just got an email and called them I thought it was a recording at first so I was listening and said out loud this is a long recording ? Little over two mins . After I said it out loud the person said can't you tell a recording from a real person ? Well I said usually you start your greeting then you ask a question I do etc confirm who you are trying to reach and what for . The fact that you wouldn't let me speak and when I ask you a question and you kept on talking I assumed you were a recording so yeah your phone etiquette sucks and when some asks who you are you say who you are and why . All he kept telling me was we found your résumé on and would like to schedule you for an interview as far as any info you will get that at the interview and I asked for time and directions he said like a *** didn't you read the email ? I asked for his name bc I still don't know who I'm talking to he said I'm not allowed to give out that information I told him goodbye sorry but you won't let me speak won't give time and directions your first name which is what national security secret and he said no I said hear me now ? Dial tone.

Sep 16 #1034673

Good for you! What a classless *** he was.

2 0 Reply

Sep 11 #1032831 Visalia, California

I agree with you totaly. Just got a call today and it was exacly they way you described it . To the T

Sep 03 #1029273

I just received a phone exactly like yours. Won't
Be wasting my time either.

Aug 23 #1023601

I have received an email from a Lara Fleetwood, with the same info. I asked them what the position was for that they want me to interview for and they wrote, Customer Service (that is what I do) She wrote to me AFTER I asked what I was being interviewed for, and she replied back with:
..."At this time Bankers Life is hiring for several positions – Customer Service, Healthcare Services, Financial Admin, Financial Sales and Services, Client Relationship Management, as well as Leadership and Management roles. All of the positions are Full-Time, include benefits and training..."
I have to go on this interview because Unemployment says that I cannot refuse a job referral. However, I AM NOT A SALES PERSON by any means, and I CANNOT work on any commission.
I will find out about this and will not waste any time -

3 0 Reply

Jul 31 #1014164

I was contacted by two people from the Bankers Life and scheduled me for interview as a Manager. I was told I wi be trained. I told the lady I was not interested in the position and she asked "why"? I asked her to email me the job posting so I can research the company. She sent me an email confirmation of my appointment. I had a bad feeling about this so I googled and I'm glad I did. I am not going to the interview. They also told me the same thing. Bring your resume and dress professional.

Jul 25 #1011850

The person calling requesting you to come to an info session is given a script and does not know anything else about the position. When you go to the session; the branch sales manager gives you the preliminary info. If he is interested in you; he will give you either a call or email to come in for a personal interview. Insurance sales is where money is at. Whether you work for a State Farm or a Bankers life it is still insurance sales. They are just two different licenses. If you want to only do this, then you work full time. You are self-employed and are a 1099 employee until you move up to management if you choose and qualify. Then you are w-2. You can't judge a book by its cover and the recruiter is looking for key words in your resume that are transferable skills that could be applied to this career. If its not for you, then so be it. But the company is not a scam. Aflac works the same way as so do many others. Bankers like has been around for about 130 years so that should say something about the company. As far as the dress code and resume; just face it; most of you would show up in jeans and a t-shirt since you hear information session.

5 6 Reply

Jul 25 #1011853 Ontario, Canada

None of what you rambled on about means a hill of beans to the average job-seeker who is contacted by them! Bankers offers a business-opportunity in commission-only sales, and they need to be upfront and honest about that! People who need to feed their families often can't afford to pay for training and other BS and they need a steady wage or salary and benefits. They need a bona-fide JOB! They aren't looking for this horse-sh*t. The telemarketer who makes calls needs to be able to answer simple, logical questions and the fact he/she can't, says A LOT I don't care if they have been around for 200 centuries, they need to be 100% clear and upfront about what they are doing! As far as bringing a resume, most employers ask you do that. You should be doing that anyway. As far as dress code, it's a ploy. Banker's wants everyone who attends the cattle call to be in business attire because it makes their "opportunity" seem more professional than what it actually is.

9 0 Reply

Jul 23 #1011129

The resume thing is false.. I've had interviews at Coca-Cola and other reputable companies and all saw résumé online but still advised to bring résumé to interview. The person who saw your email online is normally just the recruiter and person who interviews you is somebody different.

Jul 11 #1006235

Actually a great company...Rated A++ on the BBB. Also, every company I've ever worked for asks to bring in another copy of your resume upon interview. What are you talking about?

Jul 24 #1011556

Bankers Life is a B+ rated company in the insurance industry. Not a good company in California to work for as it has a multi-level marketing feel to it. They work you as you were a W2 employee while having you on a 1099 basis. Surprised they have been sued yet.

1 0 Reply

Jun 24 #999164

Got the same speak-call. However, with nothing else to do, I will be going to the scheduled interview...which sounds more like a lecture than an interview. That is, I have never had a true job interview where they ask me to bring the obvious (resume) and to dress professional. Right, like my ***-costume is at the city dump getting re-grounded and my tutu ...well it just won't fit anymore. Maybe I have gained way too much weight. Plus those flat-nosed pink shoes really kill my feet.
Wish me luck...always can excuse myself to go to the little boys room...and sneak out...or parade out with my pride.

May 12 #983303

Not a "scam", there is a difference between a scam and a company trying to fill an undesirable position with some misleading language. Paying for training IS a scam though, and if that is the case here then you're right, but you apparently didn't get that far with them. A lot of sales jobs are advertised as not being sales, because few people want to work these commission jobs for products or services that are a tough sell, and there usually is a ton of pressure from the bosses to go along with the miserable work.
Also, I find that most interviewers will ask you to bring a copy of your resume to the interview. I think the most likely reason is to make sure they have the most up to date resume to work from during the interview, as many people update their resume frequently. It has always been frustrating to me that many companies will ask you for information that is readily available in your resume or the cover letter you sent, but that is just par for the course and not indicative of a scam.

4 1 Reply

May 06 #980676

I just got the same call, everything you said happened to me. I'm a welder by trade so this drew a red flag for me, I'm not a sales person at any means.

3 1 Reply

1-20 of 1274 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Bankers Life And Casualty Company. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Bankers Life And Casualty Company.
Filing a new complaint about