Bankers Life And Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Product or service
Interview
Review category
Insurance
Helpful? 717 Yes 717 793 No 793
Had the same issue 389 Yes 389
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 12 #1172225

I've been involved in selling all forms of insurance for over 25 years. Bankers is no different than most life/health/medigap insurance companies. They all "cold call" resumes looking for people foolish enough to pay hundreds of dollars for their own insurance agent licensing classes, fingerprint/background checks, exam fees for a commission ONLY sales job.

May 18 #1161189

Apparently, you don't go on a lot of interviews. All Fortune 500 companies that I have gone on an interview, ask for you to bring your resume. There is nothing wrong with that. They don't want to sit there and go through the stacks of emails, trying to locate your resume. It is your responsibility to bring your resume and take the time out to print it off. You are selling the employer too. Also, they provide training. You don't pay for it. Get your facts straight before posting wrongful comments. Go to the company's actual website, where you will read honest, truthful posts from actual employee testimonials.

0 2 Reply

May 19 #1161316 New York, New York

I agree about the resume part. However, that doesn't negate the rest of what the OP wrote. You DO have to pay for training and a license. You have to pay money out and most people who are searching for a JOB are not looking to pay, they are looking to BE PAID! Also, BL does not hold interviews, they hold sales presentations aka cattle calls. I would never depend on "reviews" at a company's own website. A reliable source of REAL interviews can be found at sites like this, glassdoor and indeed, just to name a few.

May 12 #1157870

Just remember, if there was so much money and potential with this organization, they wouldn't have to randomly call people, trying to get them to their sales presentations! Everyone would be trying to get in on this "golden opportunity" if it really was so lucrative!

May 12 #1157779

Useful post , Speaking of which , if someone was looking for a a form , my family encountered a template document here https://goo.gl/SZuuFU.

Apr 19 #1146570

I HAD THIS COMPANY I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES??CERTAIN THAT YOU. CAN'T DO WORSE THAN LOUD CLOUD NINE INSU???CE EXPRESS AREN'T EVEN AN INSURANCE COMPANY ??? THEY CALL AND HARRASS YOU,STATING YOU ASKED THEM TO CALL YOU???? HANG UP !!!! NOT WITH BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!!!

Mar 14 #1127398

Anonymous Don't go it's a scam they had me thinking they were going to hire me last I went first to this presentation which had about 25 people they find my resume on monster it's a scam pleas don't go they are liars

Feb 21 #1115455

You Nailed It!!!!!!

Feb 19 #1114356

Thank you for your comments-I just got a call from them yesterday and it sounded strange-I will not go to that interview!

Riya Gupta 123

Feb 18 #1113735 Jersey City, New Jersey

This post is really helpful. I also got a call from this company and they don't told me about the job description or anything relevant. They just want to schedule the interview, & asked me to carry my resume with me and dress up professionally. Even i got the confirmation call from the same lady, & i said i won't b able to come, thanks for your unknown opportunity.

Feb 16 #1112630

Uh idk what world you Live in but who doesn't dress professional for an interview like have you ever had a job before seriously ? Just because they found your resume doesn't mean you shouldn't bring another one.

0 1 Reply

Feb 10 #1109765

Omg....I have an interview with them this week.

Kim

Feb 09 #1109151 Greenville, South Carolina

OH MY !! Thank you for this post. I can't believe how people will take advantage of someone just trying to make a living and pay their bills. Not to mention taking advantage of the elderly. Why does our government allow businesses like this,to exist? Sick world we live in.......

Feb 08 #1108543

Have an interview on Wednesday at 11 am thank for the heads up.

1099 employee

Feb 02 #1105116 Hagerstown, Maryland

By the way. I put my resume on yahoo jobs after returning from out of the county and found myself unemployed. I was contacted for a group interview. I went back for a smaller follow up interview and took the job on the third face to face interview. Since then I paid all my debt, bought a new house, and help retired people every day. Don't take someone's advice that never went to the interview.

0 3 Reply
dannedan

Feb 02 #1105296 Morristown, New Jersey

I did go. Out of curiosity... I did my research about the company before I went but i wanted to see how they would attempt to "hook" people. It was shameful to say the least. "Cattle call" doesn't begin to describe it.
I am happy for you that things have worked out for you. - Then again, making money at the expense of others (NOT helping others) is not everyone's cup of tea. Glad that it is working for you. It's not working for 99% of the 1,300 comments this little blog has had.

May 12 #1157838

@1099 employee: did you also climb Mount Everest, win the Nobel Peace Prize and discover a cure for cancer? You went out of the "county"? LMAO! You world traveler you! hahahaha

0 0 Reply

Feb 02 #1105108

You are clueless, everything you said has nothing to do with actually working for the company. I made $150,000 by my third year and have made 200,000+ every year after. Anything you apply yourself to can give good results. This is a commission business. Its also rewarding to put people's minds at ease regarding their retirement decisions.

0 2 Reply
dannedan

Feb 02 #1105299 Morristown, New Jersey

Look me up and feel free to contact me for a good discussion without stepping out of bounds in the first line:
www. linkedin.com/in/danieldannenmann

Jan 28 #1102451

I too was contacted by someone who said they are Christina from Banker's Life. They said very little about the position or what they were looking for. They wanted me to attend some kind of appointment to learn about the company, and they were to send me the address via email which I didn't get. They called me the day before to confirm receipt of their email. I didn't get it because they supposedly had the incorrect email address.

1-20 of 1314 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.