Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

1284bba0 review #192456
783 659 Helpful?
Had the same issue316 Comments1249
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
nonstick

Mar 04 #953926 Oakville, Connecticut

It's simply Primerica Insurance changed to a modern twist. You'd do better working for Walmart or McDonald's, etc. They will run you through the ringer, tell you that they are billions of dollars strong, etc. Then you need to get a license ( which is true ). Now you have to cold call your own friends and family, get them to buy term life insurance ( ahem, it can be had cheaper if you just look it up). From there, you pester your own friends and family for 5 names whom you can cold call and the cycle continutes. Is there money to be made? Oye.... I guess. I liken it all to selling herbalife.

Purple people eater

Feb 13 #945224

I went through two interviews and was hired on the spot. I was asked to do an online class in a week and to get my license completed by then. I called to check on the license testing and the test is not until next week. I'm all open for opportunities, and the office and the people seem sincere, but I really have no idea what I am getting into. I have no background in insurance. It's just a lot to consider seeing both sides of the argument and going through all of this just to start a job. I'm waiting for a phone call today to determine what will happen next, and for my sake and all of the other prospective employees, it works out in a progressive favor.

0 3 Reply
Zubity

Feb 06 #941968 Lansing, Michigan

I got a call from this company on a restricted number. Make of that what you will.

Annie Claremont

Jan 30 #938736 Folsom, California

Ditto pretty much! Stay away from them!!! They are here in Sacramento CA - stay away!!!

Yette

Jan 28 #937930 Mountain View, California

Thanks for this information. Just got a phone call from local office. Good spill. I got excited, but for only a few minutes. She said that their were two job openings. Well, according to websites. no position openings in my area. Told to bring resume. Didn't think too unusual a request, for I take one anyway. Was told i letter to wear professional attire....duh. On all the job sites. I have never placed interest in banking or insurance. I cannot sell, plus I hate it. Calling back to cancel interview.

Jan 25 #936143 Houston, Texas

I went and it's legit. They don't ask you to pay for training. I think the way they recruit people is genius! I'll probably start working there soon.

2 4 Reply

Jan 29 #938124

LMAO! You are so misguided....

unemployed

Jan 23 #935273 Galloway, New Jersey

Hey I just got a call from this company and was very excited about a possible position, however after reading some of the comments I'm not sure?, I need a job, but I can't afford to pay for any kind of training

searching

Jan 04 #925587 Delray Beach, Florida

Thanks for the heads up, I received same phone call, same verbage.
I too thought, dress professionlly? Saved me time and gas!

Dec 13, 2014 #915228 San Diego, California

This is not a scam. It would be a scam if they were taking money from you. It just a bad company. Every company that calls me from monster is like this. I thought monster was a credible search engine.

TC

Dec 10, 2014 #913967 West Palm Beach, Florida

I got the call at 8:30 this morning for a job interview… That's a first… My resume very clearly states that I am an investment advisor and sales manager… Yes, they were looking for insurance sales people… Thanks for posting these comments here as I knew what to expect on my call back… Don't get your hopes up just because someone does respond to your resume online… Keep plugging away, don't give up, keep a positive attitude and things will swing your way… Good luck to all...

jon

Dec 08, 2014 #912856 Portland, Oregon

bankers life is trying to stall paying out my dads life insurance! its only 6500 dollars. enough to pay for his funeral. they *** lie cheat and steal. they are the worst company I ever had to deal with. no wonder people want to kill. these *** people suck

2 1 Reply

Dec 08, 2014 #912780 Essex, Maryland

do you remember whjat the ladies name was

Dee

Nov 27, 2014 #907096 Warrensburg, Missouri

I was contacted the other day for an interview. I attended the interview and listened to how I would be the perfect fit for this position. The person who facilitated the interview was actually dipping and spitting into a cup every other sentence. I was very disgusted I'm surprised I didn't just walk out. He scheduled me for a second interview but i will not be showing up for that one....im glad i stumbled upon this website....it really opened my eyes.

1 0 Reply
Saleslady

Nov 17, 2014 #901769 Greenville, South Carolina

They actually do pay for your study material and reimburse you for the license fee. What scam are you referring to? I make a VERY good living working for this company! It's simply insurance sales. Hard work pays off!

1 9 Reply
dannedan

Nov 26, 2014 #906554 Morristown, New Jersey

I am glad you are making a good living...selling shady products. - But that's beside the point. I went to the interview and investments for training materials and license had to be paid by those applying. Yes, they reimburse, however only after you start making sales. That is NOT paying for your training. That is letting you pay, then allow you to generate money for the company and then gradually reimbursing you out of the profits you have brought them. But hey, if that works for you then I am happy. However all others hsould be aware.
Side note: How do you justify working for a company like this? Thousands of lawsuits, one complete name change to diffuse government investigations, selling shady products to elderly, thousand of complaints from customers how feel they have been defrauded... Not sure what motivates you to get up in the morning...

7 0 Reply

Nov 28, 2014 #907159

@Saleslady - I do not believe you for one second. If you were so successful with this cr@p, you wouldn't have the time or you wouldn't be wasting your time, posting here. You would be too busy with clients and making money. I think the only thing you are successful with is walking from your computer to the fridge to make another sandwich.

NARIA

Feb 15 #946079 Dallas, Texas

DO THEY PAY SALARY PLUS COMMISSION OR STRICT COMMISSION?...ACTUALLY I HAVE A PROPERTY AND CASUALTY LICENSE...INTERVIEW FOR TOMMOROW...WHAT IS YOUR TAKE?

sam

Feb 18 #947588 Mission Viejo, California

Bankers Life is not a property and casualty company. They are a life and health company.
They are commission based only.

1-20 of 1249 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.