Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

More Review Details

Product or service
Interview
Review category
Health Insurance
Helpful? 691 Yes 691 792 No 792
Had the same issue 375 Yes 375
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Season

Aug 23 #1023601

I have received an email from a Lara Fleetwood, with the same info. I asked them what the position was for that they want me to interview for and they wrote, Customer Service (that is what I do) She wrote to me AFTER I asked what I was being interviewed for, and she replied back with:
..."At this time Bankers Life is hiring for several positions – Customer Service, Healthcare Services, Financial Admin, Financial Sales and Services, Client Relationship Management, as well as Leadership and Management roles. All of the positions are Full-Time, include benefits and training..."
I have to go on this interview because Unemployment says that I cannot refuse a job referral. However, I AM NOT A SALES PERSON by any means, and I CANNOT work on any commission.
I will find out about this and will not waste any time -

Jul 31 #1014164

I was contacted by two people from the Bankers Life and scheduled me for interview as a Manager. I was told I wi be trained. I told the lady I was not interested in the position and she asked "why"? I asked her to email me the job posting so I can research the company. She sent me an email confirmation of my appointment. I had a bad feeling about this so I googled and I'm glad I did. I am not going to the interview. They also told me the same thing. Bring your resume and dress professional.
Ba

Jul 25 #1011850

The person calling requesting you to come to an info session is given a script and does not know anything else about the position. When you go to the session; the branch sales manager gives you the preliminary info. If he is interested in you; he will give you either a call or email to come in for a personal interview. Insurance sales is where money is at. Whether you work for a State Farm or a Bankers life it is still insurance sales. They are just two different licenses. If you want to only do this, then you work full time. You are self-employed and are a 1099 employee until you move up to management if you choose and qualify. Then you are w-2. You can't judge a book by its cover and the recruiter is looking for key words in your resume that are transferable skills that could be applied to this career. If its not for you, then so be it. But the company is not a scam. Aflac works the same way as so do many others. Bankers like has been around for about 130 years so that should say something about the company. As far as the dress code and resume; just face it; most of you would show up in jeans and a t-shirt since you hear information session.

3 4 Reply

Jul 25 #1011853 Ontario, Canada

None of what you rambled on about means a hill of beans to the average job-seeker who is contacted by them! Bankers offers a business-opportunity in commission-only sales, and they need to be upfront and honest about that! People who need to feed their families often can't afford to pay for training and other BS and they need a steady wage or salary and benefits. They need a bona-fide JOB! They aren't looking for this horse-sh*t. The telemarketer who makes calls needs to be able to answer simple, logical questions and the fact he/she can't, says A LOT I don't care if they have been around for 200 centuries, they need to be 100% clear and upfront about what they are doing! As far as bringing a resume, most employers ask you do that. You should be doing that anyway. As far as dress code, it's a ploy. Banker's wants everyone who attends the cattle call to be in business attire because it makes their "opportunity" seem more professional than what it actually is.

3 0 Reply

Jul 23 #1011129

The resume thing is false.. I've had interviews at Coca-Cola and other reputable companies and all saw résumé online but still advised to bring résumé to interview. The person who saw your email online is normally just the recruiter and person who interviews you is somebody different.

Jul 11 #1006235

Actually a great company...Rated A++ on the BBB. Also, every company I've ever worked for asks to bring in another copy of your resume upon interview. What are you talking about?

3 0 Reply

Jul 24 #1011556

Bankers Life is a B+ rated company in the insurance industry. Not a good company in California to work for as it has a multi-level marketing feel to it. They work you as you were a W2 employee while having you on a 1099 basis. Surprised they have been sued yet.

Jun 24 #999164

Got the same speak-call. However, with nothing else to do, I will be going to the scheduled interview...which sounds more like a lecture than an interview. That is, I have never had a true job interview where they ask me to bring the obvious (resume) and to dress professional. Right, like my ***-costume is at the city dump getting re-grounded and my tutu ...well it just won't fit anymore. Maybe I have gained way too much weight. Plus those flat-nosed pink shoes really kill my feet.
Wish me luck...always can excuse myself to go to the little boys room...and sneak out...or parade out with my pride.

May 12 #983303

Not a "scam", there is a difference between a scam and a company trying to fill an undesirable position with some misleading language. Paying for training IS a scam though, and if that is the case here then you're right, but you apparently didn't get that far with them. A lot of sales jobs are advertised as not being sales, because few people want to work these commission jobs for products or services that are a tough sell, and there usually is a ton of pressure from the bosses to go along with the miserable work.
Also, I find that most interviewers will ask you to bring a copy of your resume to the interview. I think the most likely reason is to make sure they have the most up to date resume to work from during the interview, as many people update their resume frequently. It has always been frustrating to me that many companies will ask you for information that is readily available in your resume or the cover letter you sent, but that is just par for the course and not indicative of a scam.

May 06 #980676

I just got the same call, everything you said happened to me. I'm a welder by trade so this drew a red flag for me, I'm not a sales person at any means.

1 1 Reply
nonstick

Mar 04 #953926 Oakville, Connecticut

It's simply Primerica Insurance changed to a modern twist. You'd do better working for Walmart or McDonald's, etc. They will run you through the ringer, tell you that they are billions of dollars strong, etc. Then you need to get a license ( which is true ). Now you have to cold call your own friends and family, get them to buy term life insurance ( ahem, it can be had cheaper if you just look it up). From there, you pester your own friends and family for 5 names whom you can cold call and the cycle continutes. Is there money to be made? Oye.... I guess. I liken it all to selling herbalife.

2 2 Reply
Purple people eater

Feb 13 #945224

I went through two interviews and was hired on the spot. I was asked to do an online class in a week and to get my license completed by then. I called to check on the license testing and the test is not until next week. I'm all open for opportunities, and the office and the people seem sincere, but I really have no idea what I am getting into. I have no background in insurance. It's just a lot to consider seeing both sides of the argument and going through all of this just to start a job. I'm waiting for a phone call today to determine what will happen next, and for my sake and all of the other prospective employees, it works out in a progressive favor.

3 5 Reply
Zubity

Feb 06 #941968 Lansing, Michigan

I got a call from this company on a restricted number. Make of that what you will.

5 1 Reply
Annie Claremont

Jan 30 #938736 Folsom, California

Ditto pretty much! Stay away from them!!! They are here in Sacramento CA - stay away!!!

4 1 Reply
Yette

Jan 28 #937930 Mountain View, California

Thanks for this information. Just got a phone call from local office. Good spill. I got excited, but for only a few minutes. She said that their were two job openings. Well, according to websites. no position openings in my area. Told to bring resume. Didn't think too unusual a request, for I take one anyway. Was told i letter to wear professional attire....duh. On all the job sites. I have never placed interest in banking or insurance. I cannot sell, plus I hate it. Calling back to cancel interview.

7 1 Reply

May 29 #989301

you'd be surprised what people wear to interview is not everybody has colon sense

Jan 25 #936143 Houston, Texas

I went and it's legit. They don't ask you to pay for training. I think the way they recruit people is genius! I'll probably start working there soon.

3 7 Reply

Jan 29 #938124

LMAO! You are so misguided....

4 1 Reply
unemployed

Jan 23 #935273 Galloway, New Jersey

Hey I just got a call from this company and was very excited about a possible position, however after reading some of the comments I'm not sure?, I need a job, but I can't afford to pay for any kind of training

5 0 Reply
searching

Jan 04 #925587 Delray Beach, Florida

Thanks for the heads up, I received same phone call, same verbage.
I too thought, dress professionlly? Saved me time and gas!

5 0 Reply

1-20 of 1263 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Bankers Life and Casualty Company.
Filing a new complaint about
×