Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

review #192456
787 665 Helpful?
Had the same issue326 Comments1253
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login

May 12 #983303

Not a "scam", there is a difference between a scam and a company trying to fill an undesirable position with some misleading language. Paying for training IS a scam though, and if that is the case here then you're right, but you apparently didn't get that far with them. A lot of sales jobs are advertised as not being sales, because few people want to work these commission jobs for products or services that are a tough sell, and there usually is a ton of pressure from the bosses to go along with the miserable work.
Also, I find that most interviewers will ask you to bring a copy of your resume to the interview. I think the most likely reason is to make sure they have the most up to date resume to work from during the interview, as many people update their resume frequently. It has always been frustrating to me that many companies will ask you for information that is readily available in your resume or the cover letter you sent, but that is just par for the course and not indicative of a scam.

May 06 #980676

I just got the same call, everything you said happened to me. I'm a welder by trade so this drew a red flag for me, I'm not a sales person at any means.

1 0 Reply
nonstick

Mar 04 #953926 Oakville, Connecticut

It's simply Primerica Insurance changed to a modern twist. You'd do better working for Walmart or McDonald's, etc. They will run you through the ringer, tell you that they are billions of dollars strong, etc. Then you need to get a license ( which is true ). Now you have to cold call your own friends and family, get them to buy term life insurance ( ahem, it can be had cheaper if you just look it up). From there, you pester your own friends and family for 5 names whom you can cold call and the cycle continutes. Is there money to be made? Oye.... I guess. I liken it all to selling herbalife.

2 1 Reply
Purple people eater

Feb 13 #945224

I went through two interviews and was hired on the spot. I was asked to do an online class in a week and to get my license completed by then. I called to check on the license testing and the test is not until next week. I'm all open for opportunities, and the office and the people seem sincere, but I really have no idea what I am getting into. I have no background in insurance. It's just a lot to consider seeing both sides of the argument and going through all of this just to start a job. I'm waiting for a phone call today to determine what will happen next, and for my sake and all of the other prospective employees, it works out in a progressive favor.

1 5 Reply
Zubity

Feb 06 #941968 Lansing, Michigan

I got a call from this company on a restricted number. Make of that what you will.

5 0 Reply
Annie Claremont

Jan 30 #938736 Folsom, California

Ditto pretty much! Stay away from them!!! They are here in Sacramento CA - stay away!!!

Yette

Jan 28 #937930 Mountain View, California

Thanks for this information. Just got a phone call from local office. Good spill. I got excited, but for only a few minutes. She said that their were two job openings. Well, according to websites. no position openings in my area. Told to bring resume. Didn't think too unusual a request, for I take one anyway. Was told i letter to wear professional attire....duh. On all the job sites. I have never placed interest in banking or insurance. I cannot sell, plus I hate it. Calling back to cancel interview.

5 0 Reply

Jan 25 #936143 Houston, Texas

I went and it's legit. They don't ask you to pay for training. I think the way they recruit people is genius! I'll probably start working there soon.

2 7 Reply

Jan 29 #938124

LMAO! You are so misguided....

unemployed

Jan 23 #935273 Galloway, New Jersey

Hey I just got a call from this company and was very excited about a possible position, however after reading some of the comments I'm not sure?, I need a job, but I can't afford to pay for any kind of training

searching

Jan 04 #925587 Delray Beach, Florida

Thanks for the heads up, I received same phone call, same verbage.
I too thought, dress professionlly? Saved me time and gas!

Dec 13, 2014 #915228 San Diego, California

This is not a scam. It would be a scam if they were taking money from you. It just a bad company. Every company that calls me from monster is like this. I thought monster was a credible search engine.

2 0 Reply

Apr 29 #977971

They do make money from you. They get you to sell bad policies, then charge you for them when they are cancelled. My husband left there owing $900 and what they couldn't take from his check they put in collections.

2 0 Reply
TC

Dec 10, 2014 #913967 West Palm Beach, Florida

I got the call at 8:30 this morning for a job interview… That's a first… My resume very clearly states that I am an investment advisor and sales manager… Yes, they were looking for insurance sales people… Thanks for posting these comments here as I knew what to expect on my call back… Don't get your hopes up just because someone does respond to your resume online… Keep plugging away, don't give up, keep a positive attitude and things will swing your way… Good luck to all...

6 0 Reply
jon

Dec 08, 2014 #912856 Portland, Oregon

bankers life is trying to stall paying out my dads life insurance! its only 6500 dollars. enough to pay for his funeral. they *** lie cheat and steal. they are the worst company I ever had to deal with. no wonder people want to kill. these *** people suck

3 1 Reply

Dec 08, 2014 #912780 Essex, Maryland

do you remember whjat the ladies name was

May 07 #981108

Sarah

Dee

Nov 27, 2014 #907096 Warrensburg, Missouri

I was contacted the other day for an interview. I attended the interview and listened to how I would be the perfect fit for this position. The person who facilitated the interview was actually dipping and spitting into a cup every other sentence. I was very disgusted I'm surprised I didn't just walk out. He scheduled me for a second interview but i will not be showing up for that one....im glad i stumbled upon this website....it really opened my eyes.

1 0 Reply
Saleslady

Nov 17, 2014 #901769 Greenville, South Carolina

They actually do pay for your study material and reimburse you for the license fee. What scam are you referring to? I make a VERY good living working for this company! It's simply insurance sales. Hard work pays off!

1 9 Reply

1-20 of 1253 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.