Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

Issue not resolved

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

d3d7a03 review #192456
623 Helpful? 773
Had the same issue252 Comments1237 Report
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review about this company

Dec 13 San Diego, California

This is not a scam. It would be a scam if they were taking money from you. It just a bad company. Every company that calls me from monster is like this. I thought monster was a credible search engine.

TC

Dec 10 West Palm Beach, Florida

I got the call at 8:30 this morning for a job interview… That's a first… My resume very clearly states that I am an investment advisor and sales manager… Yes, they were looking for insurance sales people… Thanks for posting these comments here as I knew what to expect on my call back… Don't get your hopes up just because someone does respond to your resume online… Keep plugging away, don't give up, keep a positive attitude and things will swing your way… Good luck to all...

jon

Dec 08 Portland, Oregon

bankers life is trying to stall paying out my dads life insurance! its only 6500 dollars. enough to pay for his funeral. they *** lie cheat and steal. they are the worst company I ever had to deal with. no wonder people want to kill. these *** people suck

Dee

Nov 27 Warrensburg, Missouri

I was contacted the other day for an interview. I attended the interview and listened to how I would be the perfect fit for this position. The person who facilitated the interview was actually dipping and spitting into a cup every other sentence. I was very disgusted I'm surprised I didn't just walk out. He scheduled me for a second interview but i will not be showing up for that one....im glad i stumbled upon this website....it really opened my eyes.

Saleslady

Nov 17 Greenville, South Carolina

They actually do pay for your study material and reimburse you for the license fee. What scam are you referring to? I make a VERY good living working for this company! It's simply insurance sales. Hard work pays off!

1 4 Reply
dannedan

Nov 26 Morristown, New Jersey

I am glad you are making a good living...selling shady products. - But that's beside the point. I went to the interview and investments for training materials and license had to be paid by those applying. Yes, they reimburse, however only after you start making sales. That is NOT paying for your training. That is letting you pay, then allow you to generate money for the company and then gradually reimbursing you out of the profits you have brought them. But hey, if that works for you then I am happy. However all others hsould be aware.
Side note: How do you justify working for a company like this? Thousands of lawsuits, one complete name change to diffuse government investigations, selling shady products to elderly, thousand of complaints from customers how feel they have been defrauded... Not sure what motivates you to get up in the morning...

2 0 Reply

Nov 28

@Saleslady - I do not believe you for one second. If you were so successful with this cr@p, you wouldn't have the time or you wouldn't be wasting your time, posting here. You would be too busy with clients and making money. I think the only thing you are successful with is walking from your computer to the fridge to make another sandwich.

Bankers agent

Nov 11 Massachusetts, United States

This company definetly is a scam and is stealing people's hard earned money. When you get charged a monthly fee around $137.00 a month for their rehashed leads which are called over and over by agents in the same office its Just ridiculous. Plus agents pays own way for training and licensure it's just ludicrous go get a job at a legitimate company and don't waste your time here because you will lose. Best of luck !!!

1 0 Reply

Oct 16 Estell Manor, New Jersey

I was really excited to get a phone message that a supposedly professional company was interested in my resume. So glad I stumbled onto your site!! Just for a test, I called the phone #856-229-9736, that they had provided, at 5:45 AM. Got a voice mail for a Joy Creamer, or Joyce Creamer. Very interesting to hear noises like a boiler-room in the background!!
While my bubble is burst (I desperately need a job!!), I am grateful that you clued me in to this scam.
Thanks,
Mary

3 0 Reply
slc

Oct 15 Grand Rapids, Michigan

So glad people post these scams online. I got a call from Heather stating that I sent my resume to her off of Craigslist. I always check out online the person's name and/or phone number before I return the call. That's where I found several other posts about this company. I have no interest in sales nor any experience. My background is accounting. Thanks for posting!

1 0 Reply
jm

Nov 26 Brooklyn, New York

Why put your resume on Craigslist? You asked for trouble. All type of scammers are on Craigslist. You got contacted by a scammers not bankers life.

0 2 Reply
dannedan

Nov 26 Morristown, New Jersey

That is how Banker's Life gets to people: they scam their way in. That's the whole point of this blog. But thanks for confirming!

tmo

Oct 09

I got the same call and originally I thought it might been a scam as well so I did a lot of research. So first of the first interview as everyone says is a group interview where they give you background on the company and there accomplishments and ask you questions as a group, if you stand out amongst the group you are called back for a one on one interview. The money that is talked about is for you to become a licensed insurance agent in your state, because without licenses you cant sell insurance in any state its ILLEGAL.
And for all you who say its a scam you should try looking a little deeper, there actual a sponsor for the Indiana Pacers also try looking them up here http://www.ambest.com/

0 6 Reply

Oct 16

A sponsor for Indiana Pacers? Well now, why didn't someone say that earlier?! This is PROVES they are legit! My mind is changed.
BTW: F OFF twit!

7 0 Reply
pheebs70

Oct 07 Belleville, New Jersey

Just got a call this morning for this. I'm glad I googled and found this write up and another confirming my suspicions it was a scam. I'm supposed to go next week but I won't be attending. I too picked up on the warning signs of dress professionally and bring a resume...uh...my resume is on the site, if you really wanted to hire me and know what I can do I think you would've had read it. I've been out of the job search for a long time but glad I can still smell a rat when there is one.

2 0 Reply
Anonymo

Oct 06

Yeah, I got the same call. Very suspicious...sounding. I did not post my resume on the site she referred to. She could not give me any info about the job. She stated that the call was being recorded and when I started to ask questions, she was in a hurry to get off the phone. A scam for sure! Not sure how to report this, but here the number that showed up on my caller I.D. 517-507-3125. Hope this helps someone.

4 0 Reply
Gdawg

Sep 22 Seattle, Washington

I went to the interview for bankers life. It was a big waste of time, they went to give us the typical blah blah blah about the companies history and about how much money they have made over the last few years. They avoided describing the job as much as possible then most of the way through their sales pitch about how awesome of a company it is to work for they busted out the job description, saying it is sales. I had told the lady over the phone I was not interested in any sales positions originally, to which she said, "oh it's nothing like that". I promptly stood up and walked out of the group interview.

6 0 Reply
Aicgoddess

Sep 18 Boone, North Carolina

I received a call last week about an interview that's tomorrow. I did get my call today reminding of the time and to bring my resume. It's funny because I just got through telling my Husband that this company, bankers life sounded like a scam. I will g tomorrow out of curiosity but I will not pay anything upfront!

5 0 Reply

1-20 of 1237 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.