Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

Aug 04, 2010

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

61e0453
Review #192456
2.1
I had the same issue 50
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Peter

Jul 11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You are an ***! It's people like you who ruin company reputations for no reason. For sales people that are use to working on commission, it is what it is. No one was drafted. No one was enslaved to work for them. Florida requires a license to work in many fields, insurance being one of them. If you applied for a job where licensing is required, and you didn't have a license for the position, then shame on you. Training is NOT free in any career. Go work at a retail store for an hourly salary, with a limited opportunity for advancement. In ALL commission jobs, you get paid what you are worth. Period! Why does everyone feel so entitled as of late? They do not owe you anything! BTW, No, I do NOT work for them as yet. I will though. Despite your "warnings"

0 3 Reply
I gotta Conscience

1 day ago

Peter,
You will fit in perfectly with this company with that attitude. Once you discover that "fake it til you make it" is their motto, maybe you will change your tune. They promise you leads....what a laugh. Your leads are self generated, phone calls from names generated by public information files. I could go downtown and get them. The leads they provide are the same people over and over and over. You don't get any leads if you don't produce. How does one produce you ask? You fake it til you make it. You lie, cheat, beg borrow and steal your way into a senior citizens home, scare them with words like Obamacare, Medicare is going away, and you guilt them into spending money on something that they will never use. They "share" commissions with new hires, to keep them motivated, then they pull that money back when you can't afford to pay your bills. You spend 3 days a week on the phones, with someone breathing down your back, spewing words from a script at you and the consumer can hear them the whole time. They yell words like Kaching, and boo yah when they score a big deal. They push things like annuities and universal life policies even though they are not licensed to do so, only to send a trader in to shoot the customer down due to inadequate money, too many bills etc. Just not affordable. They knock on doors using your gps which they load with people birthdays so you can prey on the folks turning 65. scaring them into thinking that the world is ending...
... Show more

Scammed person

Jul 09

Thank you for this I actually just got a call about an hour ago and I could already tell by the ton of her voice that this was a scam. She said based of my experience I would qualify,which is strange because my experience was nothing in the field of this.

Mr Anonymous

Jul 01

Thanks for this post. I googled the number and this was the first hit. My son almost got involved in a pyramid scheme and I had researched it for him to prove it. This call went exactly the same as someone selling you on "Multilevel Marketing."
This is when I knew it was a scam although it started weird when she told me the phone call would be recorded for quality assurance.
I asked her to repeat what the EXACT job was several times and I could tell she was reading from a script. She wouldn't let me hang up and kept repeating the same things over and over again.
OK.
Good bye.

2 0 Reply

May 30

And don't BS us about the "recruiter" doesn't know the details of the job. They are paid by how many people show up for the interview. I read their complaints online too.

May 30

Yes, I received a voice mail and an email from this company after posting my resume on a job site. A quick bit of research online showed TONS of complaints online from BOTH employees (former) AND customers. The job they are pushing does appear to be 100% commission. Good for whoever wants to deal with that, but I'm saying no thanks. I don't know how this company is still around after the stories I read about its business practices. Unreal.

May 30 Tulsa, Oklahoma

You all do realize the call is from a "recruiter", they don't know the details of the job like the manager. Of which they are trying to set up a time for you to meet face to face. So you can come into their office (see its a real place) and actually get to have the one on one to get all the specific information you want to know. Yes it will go to voicemail-you want to know why?? Because that way they can check it from anywhere. This company is trying to expand and grow that's why they are recruiting. You don't have to dog on a company you didn't even have the courage to go in to. That's ridiculous. It is a two part interview. The first initial meeting (WHAT THE RECRUITER IS TRYING TO HELP YOU WITH) is to tell you in detail what they do, what they are looking for and to find out a little bit about you to see if you are even what they are looking for. The second interview is like an orientation where the manager goes through the whole process, where you are able to ask as many questions as you want to fully understand the company. The first one is a one on one meeting the second is a group one. These are really great people not monsters. They are no different from me or you. Some were RN's, military, just graduated high school. Normal everyday working people. Yes it is great to not be experienced in this-their reasoning why-IT IS EASIER TO TRAIN THAN TO RE-TRAIN! In the military they break you down to nothing at basic in the beginning to build you up into the soldier they WANT... Show more

1 2 Reply

Jun 12

Anyone who's job entails just sitting on the phone all day, dialing numbers is NOT a recruiter. They are a telemarketer. For you to call yourself a recruiter would be like someone who types documents all day calling themselves a lawyer.

Mceesquare

Apr 30

I just got the same call this morning on my answering machine. First of all I never applied openly on career builder. Secondly my cell phone is my primary phone so why she called on my home phone. Thirdly she had an accent that was difficult to understand and didnt even mention any position. I got the call from +1 301 232 5238.
Thank for posting and helping to find out early!

Mar 21

I am pretty sure this is a 100% commission job and they want you in for the interview for the hard sell, before divulging too much information over the phone. However; Sir, if I was an employer and an applicant asked ME to send them information on the Company, I would cancel the interview immediately. Employers have a rightful expectation that applicants can utilize the internet and research the company themselves! Also, I have many times over the years been told to bring my resume and dress professionally, including when I worked at IBM!

jobless

Mar 21 Clear Spring, Maryland

Thank you for the advice. I too had my resume pulled and was called around 7:30pm.....that flew a flag as well. Most companies call during the day. I listened to the voicemail left on my phone about calling the number back. I have called back twice and only was answered with a voicemail.
I wont bother to waste my time any further on this so-called position.

Mikey P

Mar 20

I am glad i just googled them bc they set me up for an interview next week. I will not be going to that

2 0 Reply
drea

Mar 09

I am glad I googled the company before wasting my time going up there. Was trying to find information on the company before I went and the first thing that popped up on Google was this company was a scam. Guess I will stay in my warm bed tomorrow. Thanks Google.

2 1 Reply
Dannedan

Mar 06 Morristown, New Jersey

@Bankers or Bonkers:
Please research. You will be able to answer your own questions. Banker has re-branded several times over the term of its existence. They continue to be forced to do so because (1) fraud allegations and (2) an increasingly bad image that builds up over time and becomes unsustainable. - "Go Getters" are wanted everywhere. But there are serious employers out there...with serious products. I invite you to spend an hour on Google and YouTube researching Bankers. You will find good comments, however the overwhelming majority of comments will be bad. -- Look at the products they sell and who they sell them to. If you are willing to make money peddling worthless insurance products and "savings" schemes to the elderly in a high-pressure fashion, then this is a decision you make for yourself. You'll have to sleep with that.
Can you make money at Bankers? --> YES (...as you can anywhere else)
Is Bankers being investigated for insurance fraud (for the THIRD time)? --> YES
Does Bankers sell reputable products --> NO
Does Bankers have MILLIONS of hate comments on open forums and social websites --> YES (More so than almost any other company). Just take the time to read through THIS blog which i started not that long ago... The bottom line: if this is the company you want to be associated with, then go for it. If I were you, i would stay FAR away. But the decision is yours.

Bankers or Bonkers

Mar 05

Wow ya'll you either want to work or you don't right? Bankers Life and Casualty offers careers and for those who are willing to take the chance on being a "go getter" if almost a million people are hating this company then I would think that Bankers Life should be out of business by now. Since it says that they started in 1879? Some of you cry out fraud yet they are still around? I don't get it, someone clear this up for me, a company that's been around for 134yrs has been doing fraud for that long?? So.. then fraud is legal right? NO?

0 4 Reply
JM

May 08

It is not about wanting to work, it is about being lied to from the beginning. People post their resumes on job sites hoping for a real job not a scam and a lie. I did this once on Monster and I get a call from some lady saying I would be a perfect fit for their company, really? My resume was for a bus driver. But lying seems to be the only way this company can get the uninformed in the door. I can sell Avon, Amway or Watkins and make more money. We all want to work, or else our resumes would not be online for scammers like Bakers to pull and tease us with fake jobs. Here is an idea Mr. Bakers spokes person, rather then try to scam and lie to people why not tell them the truth. Nah, if that was the case you would be sitting in you office all by yourself. :p

4 1 Reply
Mr Anonymous

Jul 01

>My resume was for a bus driver.
Haha. This is when I knew it was a scam. She asked me what type of job i was looking for. I told her "Programming and web development". She responded, "Well you sound like a hard worker and a real go getter and you would be a perfect fit at our company. You'll be making relationships with high level bankers."
OK.
Good bye.

anonymous

Feb 28

Just got a call today from Banker's Life wanting to set up an interview for my new exciting career with them. The gentleman spoke broken english and had that monotone script voice. I explained I had no experience with insurance and no licensing for that field and he told me no worries. He then proceeded to quickly want me to confirm a Tuesday interview and when I asked what the work hours were as well as the position and pay scale he said the interview would answer all my questions. I asked why he did not know these basic facts since he was calling me and I had not even applied for the job, and his response was he was calling on behalf of his manager whom I would meet on Tuesday if I just went to the interview. I then asked for the manger's name and to speak with him directly so I would know more about the job only to be told to dress professionally and bring my resume on Tuesday. Within minutes of hanging up they sent me an email for Tuesday's interview which I never agreed to go to in the first place. All of these are huge red flags!! First off when someone is calling you about anything they should sound professional and speak english properly as they are a company representive plus they are also the first impression that any potential employee/client will have of the company. Second they should know why they are calling you so if it's for a job they should know the basic facts about it or if they do not know the basics then they should be happy to put you in touch with... Show more

2 2 Reply
Vinny From INdy

Feb 20

I too was called by a woman saying that her boss had found my resume on a job board and could I come to an interview this week about 25 miles from my house. I said sure I can come. Immediately after hanging up I Googled Banker's Life and read the HUNDREDS of horror stories about not only the interview but stories from those that took the bait and gave the job a try. It seems Banker's Life not only preys on the unemployed, but they also prey on the elderly. They try and get old people to buy annuities that are actually quite harmful to them but profitable to Banker's Life. Knowing all this beforehand and pissed at what they were doing, I decided to go to the interview to raise *** like they have never seen before and have a bit of fun with these jagoffs.
My appointment was for 1:00 on a Friday and even though I was told to dress professionally, I wore sweat pants and a T-Shirt with a *** on pole I got from some strip club I once visited. When I arrived the woman that tells you where to go mentioned my dress and I quickly apologized and told her that on my way to the interview I had hit a marmot (I don't even know what a marmot is but she bought it). I told her that the marmot was stuck in the grill of my car and when I tried to pull it out, it attacked me and that I ended up fighting with the beast for at least ten minutes until I was able to grab a large stick and bash its head in. I told her my suit was all torn up and covered in blood so I changed into some clothes I
... Show more

Showing 1-20 of 1182 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Bankers Life and Casualty Company.
Filing a new complaint about
×