Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

Issue not resolved

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

f1aec6f review #192456
632 Helpful? 776
Had the same issue272 Comments1242 Report
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review about this company
Yette

18 hours ago Mountain View, California

Thanks for this information. Just got a phone call from local office. Good spill. I got excited, but for only a few minutes. She said that their were two job openings. Well, according to websites. no position openings in my area. Told to bring resume. Didn't think too unusual a request, for I take one anyway. Was told i letter to wear professional attire....duh. On all the job sites. I have never placed interest in banking or insurance. I cannot sell, plus I hate it. Calling back to cancel interview.

Jan 25 Houston, Texas

I went and it's legit. They don't ask you to pay for training. I think the way they recruit people is genius! I'll probably start working there soon.

0 1 Reply

7 hours ago

LMAO! You are so misguided....

unemployed

Jan 23 Galloway, New Jersey

Hey I just got a call from this company and was very excited about a possible position, however after reading some of the comments I'm not sure?, I need a job, but I can't afford to pay for any kind of training

searching

Jan 04 Delray Beach, Florida

Thanks for the heads up, I received same phone call, same verbage.
I too thought, dress professionlly? Saved me time and gas!

Dec 13, 2014 San Diego, California

This is not a scam. It would be a scam if they were taking money from you. It just a bad company. Every company that calls me from monster is like this. I thought monster was a credible search engine.

TC

Dec 10, 2014 West Palm Beach, Florida

I got the call at 8:30 this morning for a job interview… That's a first… My resume very clearly states that I am an investment advisor and sales manager… Yes, they were looking for insurance sales people… Thanks for posting these comments here as I knew what to expect on my call back… Don't get your hopes up just because someone does respond to your resume online… Keep plugging away, don't give up, keep a positive attitude and things will swing your way… Good luck to all...

jon

Dec 08, 2014 Portland, Oregon

bankers life is trying to stall paying out my dads life insurance! its only 6500 dollars. enough to pay for his funeral. they *** lie cheat and steal. they are the worst company I ever had to deal with. no wonder people want to kill. these *** people suck

Dee

Nov 27, 2014 Warrensburg, Missouri

I was contacted the other day for an interview. I attended the interview and listened to how I would be the perfect fit for this position. The person who facilitated the interview was actually dipping and spitting into a cup every other sentence. I was very disgusted I'm surprised I didn't just walk out. He scheduled me for a second interview but i will not be showing up for that one....im glad i stumbled upon this website....it really opened my eyes.

Saleslady

Nov 17, 2014 Greenville, South Carolina

They actually do pay for your study material and reimburse you for the license fee. What scam are you referring to? I make a VERY good living working for this company! It's simply insurance sales. Hard work pays off!

1 8 Reply
dannedan

Nov 26, 2014 Morristown, New Jersey

I am glad you are making a good living...selling shady products. - But that's beside the point. I went to the interview and investments for training materials and license had to be paid by those applying. Yes, they reimburse, however only after you start making sales. That is NOT paying for your training. That is letting you pay, then allow you to generate money for the company and then gradually reimbursing you out of the profits you have brought them. But hey, if that works for you then I am happy. However all others hsould be aware.
Side note: How do you justify working for a company like this? Thousands of lawsuits, one complete name change to diffuse government investigations, selling shady products to elderly, thousand of complaints from customers how feel they have been defrauded... Not sure what motivates you to get up in the morning...

6 0 Reply

Nov 28, 2014

@Saleslady - I do not believe you for one second. If you were so successful with this cr@p, you wouldn't have the time or you wouldn't be wasting your time, posting here. You would be too busy with clients and making money. I think the only thing you are successful with is walking from your computer to the fridge to make another sandwich.

Bankers agent

Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts, United States

This company definetly is a scam and is stealing people's hard earned money. When you get charged a monthly fee around $137.00 a month for their rehashed leads which are called over and over by agents in the same office its Just ridiculous. Plus agents pays own way for training and licensure it's just ludicrous go get a job at a legitimate company and don't waste your time here because you will lose. Best of luck !!!

Oct 16, 2014 Estell Manor, New Jersey

I was really excited to get a phone message that a supposedly professional company was interested in my resume. So glad I stumbled onto your site!! Just for a test, I called the phone #856-229-9736, that they had provided, at 5:45 AM. Got a voice mail for a Joy Creamer, or Joyce Creamer. Very interesting to hear noises like a boiler-room in the background!!
While my bubble is burst (I desperately need a job!!), I am grateful that you clued me in to this scam.
Thanks,
Mary

5 0 Reply
slc

Oct 15, 2014 Grand Rapids, Michigan

So glad people post these scams online. I got a call from Heather stating that I sent my resume to her off of Craigslist. I always check out online the person's name and/or phone number before I return the call. That's where I found several other posts about this company. I have no interest in sales nor any experience. My background is accounting. Thanks for posting!

3 0 Reply
jm

Nov 26, 2014 Brooklyn, New York

Why put your resume on Craigslist? You asked for trouble. All type of scammers are on Craigslist. You got contacted by a scammers not bankers life.

0 4 Reply
dannedan

Nov 26, 2014 Morristown, New Jersey

That is how Banker's Life gets to people: they scam their way in. That's the whole point of this blog. But thanks for confirming!

2 1 Reply
tmo

Oct 09, 2014

I got the same call and originally I thought it might been a scam as well so I did a lot of research. So first of the first interview as everyone says is a group interview where they give you background on the company and there accomplishments and ask you questions as a group, if you stand out amongst the group you are called back for a one on one interview. The money that is talked about is for you to become a licensed insurance agent in your state, because without licenses you cant sell insurance in any state its ILLEGAL.
And for all you who say its a scam you should try looking a little deeper, there actual a sponsor for the Indiana Pacers also try looking them up here http://www.ambest.com/

0 6 Reply

1-20 of 1242 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.