Bankers Life and Casualty Company - Interview Scam

Aug 04, 2010
review #192456

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

675d412
2.1
Had an experience with Bankers Life and Casualty Company?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA

14 hours ago

BEWARE OF APPLYING FOR ANY POSITION TO Bankers Life and Casualty Ins. IT IS A SCAM!
I applied through the Bankers Life and Casualty Ins website directly, to what I thought was a sales position with the company. I received an email and phone call stating how exited the manager was that I showed interest. All in all the company had no background per my experience.
The phone call I received sounded as if a script had been memorized, reminded me of the "interview" date and time, told me to dress professionally remember my resume, and they needed the cash upfront at a Bankers Houston Location. Attempts were made to contact the company regarding such a disturbing reminder call, of course all attempts had failed.
There is no reason what so ever an interviewee should have to pay for a job interview except for the clothes to wear, cost of transportation to and from, etc. I'm talking about honest and fair monetary requirements for an interview. Apparently this "job" poster is a scam and is not developed to hire individuals for employment, but to get rich easy off the unsuspecting.
It's a shame really in this particular day and age such scams are still legal. It's also a real shame if this is a truly legit company to consider the "values" the founder of the company, John D. MacArthur stood for and believed in. Assuming the story is real and this was indeed a real person, he'd be doing flips in his grave right now.

Mickey

17 hours ago St. Louis, Missouri

I have posted my resume online at indeed. Got a call shortly from a male who sounded professional. Ijust left my 1st interview and was invited to a 2nd. I am nor used to commission pay, but im thinking of giving it a try because I'm pretty desperate for a job. I've seen good reviews and bad also... Thissite being the only bad reviews I've seen. I will keep both pros and cons in mind though.

Ryanmiller70

1 day ago

Thanks for the post. I'm 19 and got a call from them a week ago and just got a reminder call of my interview. I didn't think much of it when they first called, even though no matter how many times I told this woman no, she wouldn't take it for an answer. I may be desperate for a job, but I'm not desperate enough to go to this kind of stuff.

Jul 25 Rockford, Illinois

i got the same call with the same ammo, only difference is i did get a reminder e mail .I too found it odd ,no job description. i did propped some into the company .It sounds like a job selling insurance of some sort . a commission based job. Which usually means self employment .You would have to buy cold calling lists and find your own clients from their office and they get some commission percent , because in a way you work under them . I am glad i came across this warning it confirms my suspicions .Thank you for taking the time to alert others .

Peter

Jul 11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You are an ***! It's people like you who ruin company reputations for no reason. For sales people that are use to working on commission, it is what it is. No one was drafted. No one was enslaved to work for them. Florida requires a license to work in many fields, insurance being one of them. If you applied for a job where licensing is required, and you didn't have a license for the position, then shame on you. Training is NOT free in any career. Go work at a retail store for an hourly salary, with a limited opportunity for advancement. In ALL commission jobs, you get paid what you are worth. Period! Why does everyone feel so entitled as of late? They do not owe you anything! BTW, No, I do NOT work for them as yet. I will though. Despite your "warnings"

0 5 Reply
I gotta Conscience

Jul 22

Peter,
You will fit in perfectly with this company with that attitude. Once you discover that "fake it til you make it" is their motto, maybe you will change your tune. They promise you leads....what a laugh. Your leads are self generated, phone calls from names generated by public information files. I could go downtown and get them. The leads they provide are the same people over and over and over. You don't get any leads if you don't produce. How does one produce you ask? You fake it til you make it. You lie, cheat, beg borrow and steal your way into a senior citizens home, scare them with words like Obamacare, Medicare is going away, and you guilt them into spending money on something that they will never use. They "share" commissions with new hires, to keep them motivated, then they pull that money back when you can't afford to pay your bills. You spend 3 days a week on the phones, with someone breathing down your back, spewing words from a script at you and the consumer can hear them the whole time. They yell words like Kaching, and boo yah when they score a big deal. They push things like annuities and universal life policies even though they are not licensed to do so, only to send a trader in to shoot the customer down due to inadequate money, too many bills etc. Just not affordable. They knock on doors using your gps which they load with people birthdays so you can prey on the folks turning 65. scaring them into thinking that the world is ending...
... Show more

Jul 25

Training is indeed FREE in MANY careers! Not only FREE but you are also paid an hourly wage while in training. I would much rather work in retail and earn a guaranteed hourly wage so I can plan a budget, then fool around with one of these 100% commission only 'opportunities' where they lure people in with misleading job descriptions. Why do people feel entitled? How is expecting decent pay for hard work self-entitlement? Maybe YOU should feel a little more entitled and want more for yourself than a sh*tty commission sales job. You state that you plan to work for these people. Well, by all means, please come back in 2-3 months and let us know how fabulous (LMAO) you are doing... hahahahahahaha!

Scammed person

Jul 09

Thank you for this I actually just got a call about an hour ago and I could already tell by the ton of her voice that this was a scam. She said based of my experience I would qualify,which is strange because my experience was nothing in the field of this.

3 0 Reply
Mr Anonymous

Jul 01

Thanks for this post. I googled the number and this was the first hit. My son almost got involved in a pyramid scheme and I had researched it for him to prove it. This call went exactly the same as someone selling you on "Multilevel Marketing."
She asked me what type of job i was looking for. I told her "Programming and web development". She responded, "Well you sound like a hard worker and a real go getter and you would be a perfect fit at our company. You'll be making relationships with high level bankers."
This is when I knew it was a scam although it started weird when she told me the phone call would be recorded for quality assurance.
I asked her to repeat what the EXACT job was several times and I could tell she was reading from a script. She wouldn't let me hang up and kept repeating the same things over and over again.
OK.
Good bye.

May 30

And don't BS us about the "recruiter" doesn't know the details of the job. They are paid by how many people show up for the interview. I read their complaints online too.

Jul 25

How dare are they call themselves recruiters! They are telemarketers! They are appointment setters! And the reason they won't/can't answer questions is because then they would never fool anyone into showing up for the interview.

May 30

Yes, I received a voice mail and an email from this company after posting my resume on a job site. A quick bit of research online showed TONS of complaints online from BOTH employees (former) AND customers. The job they are pushing does appear to be 100% commission. Good for whoever wants to deal with that, but I'm saying no thanks. I don't know how this company is still around after the stories I read about its business practices. Unreal.

May 30 Tulsa, Oklahoma

You all do realize the call is from a "recruiter", they don't know the details of the job like the manager. Of which they are trying to set up a time for you to meet face to face. So you can come into their office (see its a real place) and actually get to have the one on one to get all the specific information you want to know. Yes it will go to voicemail-you want to know why?? Because that way they can check it from anywhere. This company is trying to expand and grow that's why they are recruiting. You don't have to dog on a company you didn't even have the courage to go in to. That's ridiculous. It is a two part interview. The first initial meeting (WHAT THE RECRUITER IS TRYING TO HELP YOU WITH) is to tell you in detail what they do, what they are looking for and to find out a little bit about you to see if you are even what they are looking for. The second interview is like an orientation where the manager goes through the whole process, where you are able to ask as many questions as you want to fully understand the company. The first one is a one on one meeting the second is a group one. These are really great people not monsters. They are no different from me or you. Some were RN's, military, just graduated high school. Normal everyday working people. Yes it is great to not be experienced in this-their reasoning why-IT IS EASIER TO TRAIN THAN TO RE-TRAIN! In the military they break you down to nothing at basic in the beginning to build you up into the soldier they WANT... Show more

1 4 Reply

Jun 12

Anyone who's job entails just sitting on the phone all day, dialing numbers is NOT a recruiter. They are a telemarketer. For you to call yourself a recruiter would be like someone who types documents all day calling themselves a lawyer.

5 0 Reply
Mceesquare

Apr 30

I just got the same call this morning on my answering machine. First of all I never applied openly on career builder. Secondly my cell phone is my primary phone so why she called on my home phone. Thirdly she had an accent that was difficult to understand and didnt even mention any position. I got the call from +1 301 232 5238.
Thank for posting and helping to find out early!

Mar 21

I am pretty sure this is a 100% commission job and they want you in for the interview for the hard sell, before divulging too much information over the phone. However; Sir, if I was an employer and an applicant asked ME to send them information on the Company, I would cancel the interview immediately. Employers have a rightful expectation that applicants can utilize the internet and research the company themselves! Also, I have many times over the years been told to bring my resume and dress professionally, including when I worked at IBM!

jobless

Mar 21 Clear Spring, Maryland

Thank you for the advice. I too had my resume pulled and was called around 7:30pm.....that flew a flag as well. Most companies call during the day. I listened to the voicemail left on my phone about calling the number back. I have called back twice and only was answered with a voicemail.
I wont bother to waste my time any further on this so-called position.

Mikey P

Mar 20

I am glad i just googled them bc they set me up for an interview next week. I will not be going to that

Showing 1-20 of 1193 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Bankers Life and Casualty Company.
Filing a new complaint about
×