Bankers Life And Casualty Company - Interview Scam

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

More Review Details

Product or service
Interview
Review category
Insurance
Helpful? 705 Yes 705 793 No 793
Had the same issue 385 Yes 385
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
1099 employee

Feb 02 #1105116 Hagerstown, Maryland

By the way. I put my resume on yahoo jobs after returning from out of the county and found myself unemployed. I was contacted for a group interview. I went back for a smaller follow up interview and took the job on the third face to face interview. Since then I paid all my debt, bought a new house, and help retired people every day. Don't take someone's advice that never went to the interview.

0 1 Reply

Feb 02 #1105296 Morristown, New Jersey

I did go. Out of curiosity... I did my research about the company before I went but i wanted to see how they would attempt to "hook" people. It was shameful to say the least. "Cattle call" doesn't begin to describe it.
I am happy for you that things have worked out for you. - Then again, making money at the expense of others (NOT helping others) is not everyone's cup of tea. Glad that it is working for you. It's not working for 99% of the 1,300 comments this little blog has had.

Feb 02 #1105108

You are clueless, everything you said has nothing to do with actually working for the company. I made $150,000 by my third year and have made 200,000+ every year after. Anything you apply yourself to can give good results. This is a commission business. Its also rewarding to put people's minds at ease regarding their retirement decisions.

Feb 02 #1105299 Morristown, New Jersey

Look me up and feel free to contact me for a good discussion without stepping out of bounds in the first line:
www. linkedin.com/in/danieldannenmann

Jan 28 #1102451

I too was contacted by someone who said they are Christina from Banker's Life. They said very little about the position or what they were looking for. They wanted me to attend some kind of appointment to learn about the company, and they were to send me the address via email which I didn't get. They called me the day before to confirm receipt of their email. I didn't get it because they supposedly had the incorrect email address.

1 0 Reply

Jan 14 #1094376

Good morning and thank you for this info because everything you just wrote is so true everything i will not be going to my interview today. Thanks so much

4 1 Reply

Jan 13 #1094138

This just happened to me and thankfully I looked here so I could see it was a scam. I love the internet for that reason.

Jan 11 #1092487

Hello to all!
First an foremost: A Happy New Year 2016 to all on this blog.
It has been 5 1/2 years since I posted my original "complaint" here and I continue to be amazed at the amount of traffic this little blog gets:
33,000+ views and close to 1,300 comments...
I am glad that the above continues to be helpful to all who are being contacted by Bankers. My advice continues to be NOT to go and NOT to waste your time.
Wishing all job seekers a successful 2016. There are MANY legitimate positions out there, working for reputable companies which will allow you to actually feel good about what you do. Good luck with your job search and CONGRATS for saying NO to Bankers! :-) Daniel.

Jan 28 #1102346

I just received this call guess I am tossing that note on the garbage. Thanks

scd

Feb 01 #1104264 Baltimore, Maryland

Just got my call today. .... and found your article... I live in Baltimore. It just seemed fishy to begin with....

Jan 11 #1092476

I just received a phone call from this place. Decided to check it out, now i definitely will not return the call!

4 0 Reply

Jan 08 #1091200

Just received the same call today. No job description or location info, just "we would like you to come in for an interview."
I found your post from a random google search, but, before I saw your post, I called back and left a message and they never returned my call.

4 0 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1082880

Just got a call and same way you describe it exactly how it went down. I won't waste my time with it.

7 0 Reply

Dec 12, 2015 #1077694

I have to say that i agree. And i will say that i went thru months of training to take the exams & was going to meetings & taking my time with things before i made any decisions. Needless to say, i worked for the company but only a few days til i saw what a scam it was to work for them. How can someone who works for a Company for 4 yrs drive around in a beat up car rather than a new car if they're supposed to be making the $ they should be making!! ?

Dec 02, 2015 #1073056

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I didn't trust them either.

7 0 Reply

Nov 09, 2015 #1061015

Just go... What else are you doing? You cant be scammed unless you agree to it! If its legit, go on and make some money! Better than zero coming into your bank account! *** my account has dust and tumbleweed because I've not made a deposit in so long!

1 2 Reply

Jan 08 #1091026 Sheffield, Sheffield

time is money. Why waste time on something that is not an actual job but an "opportunity"? Why waste gas money driving there when that money could be spent going to actual interviews offering viable, paid employment! Why waste money and time on license/exams when you probably won't come out ahead!

Oct 29, 2015 #1055682

Same thing happened to me literally 15 minutes ago I got a call and I thought hmm... I'm 19 why would they want me I have worked at tire shops not insurance companies. Also I thought this is weird she hasn't asked a single question and I had missed her call and I called back and left a message saying I missed her call today and when she finally called back she said hi this is Tina I tried contacting you about a week ago blah blah blah when I only applied yesterday... So that made me feel a little off about this she also said the position I applied for does not matter that I would be able to pick any job I wish... long story short I won't be attending there professional looking interview

Oct 12, 2015 #1047213

I ALSO RECIEVED A CALL FROM THIS COMPANY FROM A WOMAN NAMED SARA. FIRST OF ALL I DO NOT EVEN HAVE SALES ON MY RESUME! WHICH I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS COMPANY WOULD CALL OR EMAIL ME!!!

Oct 05, 2015 #1043470

Very well stated. I am sure people will be benefited by your info. if used accordingly. Thanks.

1-20 of 1299 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.