Bankers Life And Casualty Company - Interview Scam

305 of 407 Bankers Life And Casualty Company reviews

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Product or service
Interview
Review category
Insurance
review #192456 by
Had an experience with Bankers Life And Casualty Company? Submit review ›
Helpful? 726 Yes 726 793 No 793
Had the same issue 390 Yes 390
305 of 407 Bankers Life And Casualty Company reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 02 #1235365 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for this comment -- you are right on. The same thing happened to me. I told them that I would not show up unless I received more detailed information about the company via email. Their email confirmation did not have a company name which was a big red flag and they never sent me anything else.

3 0 Reply

Oct 17 #1228291 Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm glad I looked into this and google the number. And what made me do it was the fact the person who left me a message didn't tell me what company she was calling from. Big red flag to me

FA

Oct 16 #1227659

So? I am wondering what exactly does this tell you? They are called recruiters. All companies use them. Their job is to get you to an interview, or "briefing" if you will, not to hire you. That is the purpose of the briefing, to describe the job, tell you what all it entails, answer your questions, and see if you're interested in a second interview.
Why should they? You're the one looking for a job, not them. Again, that is the purpose of the briefing.
Wow, really? Someone telling you to check your spam filter is a warning? On what planet? I got email from my mortgage company when I was
... Show more

0 6 Reply

Oct 23 #1230819

1. BL does NOT use recruiters! They use telemarketers/appt. setters who are indeed reading from a script and performing a function that even a child could do. Real recruiters do so much more and they most certainly can and will provide information about what they are recruiting for. Don't get it twisted, honey!
2. What legitimate company does not provide basic information? Do you not realize that during interviews or "briefings" as you call them, a smart applicant is evaluating the employer just as much as the employer is evaluating them! A legitimate employer doesn't want to waste their own time "briefing" candidates who are not suitable or won't be interested. That is NOT how a legit employer works! 3. An email going to a spam folder wouldn't necessarily be a red flag to me, but the "appt. setter" wanting to get me off the phone and not wanting to answer questions would definitely be a red flag! 4. Did you bother to check the date of what you were replying to? It was written over 6 years ago! Yet, here you are taunting them about being unemployed! They never even stated in their complaint that they were unemployed. A LOT of people gainfully employed continue to search for other opportunities. A smart person is ALWAYS open to new and better opportunities. But, you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?!!!

Oct 12 #1225966 Saint Louis, Missouri, United States

awful experience working there, in three months I totaled aout $2500 in sales commission if that. Promise the moon deliver....
there idea of leads is a fancy web based phone book with birthdates to call hoping you find a living body on the other end. they don't sell the F sup and try to get people to buy an overpriced C sup. They try to get the foot in the door by selling Medicare benefits but instead try to leverage, life, annuities, and anything they can claw on to. 1099, no benefits, no guarantied income, and crappy products at high prices.

Aug 09 #1196952 Tampa, Florida, United States

i managed for them for 2 years...RUN IS RIGHT.
1099 employees do not have to keep regular "call, Meeting, Motivational sessions"
You have no salary, no benefits, just sell sell selll!!!

4 0 Reply

Jun 12 #1172225

I've been involved in selling all forms of insurance for over 25 years. Bankers is no different than most life/health/medigap insurance companies. They all "cold call" resumes looking for people foolish enough to pay hundreds of dollars for their own insurance agent licensing classes, fingerprint/background checks, exam fees for a commission ONLY sales job.

May 18 #1161189

Apparently, you don't go on a lot of interviews. All Fortune 500 companies that I have gone on an interview, ask for you to bring your resume. There is nothing wrong with that. They don't want to sit there and go through the stacks of emails, trying to locate your resume. It is your responsibility to bring your resume and take the time out to print it off. You are selling the employer too. Also, they provide training. You don't pay for it. Get your facts straight before posting wrongful comments. Go to the company's actual website, where you will read honest, truthful posts from actual employee testimonials.

1 8 Reply

May 19 #1161316 New York, New York, United States

I agree about the resume part. However, that doesn't negate the rest of what the OP wrote. You DO have to pay for training and a license. You have to pay money out and most people who are searching for a JOB are not looking to pay, they are looking to BE PAID! Also, BL does not hold interviews, they hold sales presentations aka cattle calls. I would never depend on "reviews" at a company's own website. A reliable source of REAL interviews can be found at sites like this, glassdoor and indeed, just to name a few.

9 0 Reply

Oct 24 #1231103

What a freakin' joke!!! The company's website is only going to have carefully selected positive reviews that are entirely slanted in the company's favor!!! You are either completely S T U P I D or you are hoping that others here are.

1 0 Reply

May 12 #1157870

Just remember, if there was so much money and potential with this organization, they wouldn't have to randomly call people, trying to get them to their sales presentations! Everyone would be trying to get in on this "golden opportunity" if it really was so lucrative!

7 0 Reply

May 12 #1157779

Useful post , Speaking of which , if someone was looking for a a form , my family encountered a template document here https://goo.gl/SZuuFU.

1 0 Reply

Apr 19 #1146570

I HAD THIS COMPANY I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES??CERTAIN THAT YOU. CAN'T DO WORSE THAN LOUD CLOUD NINE INSU???CE EXPRESS AREN'T EVEN AN INSURANCE COMPANY ??? THEY CALL AND HARRASS YOU,STATING YOU ASKED THEM TO CALL YOU???? HANG UP !!!! NOT WITH BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!!!

4 0 Reply

Mar 14 #1127398

Anonymous Don't go it's a scam they had me thinking they were going to hire me last I went first to this presentation which had about 25 people they find my resume on monster it's a scam pleas don't go they are liars

7 0 Reply

Feb 21 #1115455

You Nailed It!!!!!!

5 0 Reply

Feb 19 #1114356

Thank you for your comments-I just got a call from them yesterday and it sounded strange-I will not go to that interview!

Riya Gupta 123

Feb 18 #1113735 Jersey City, New Jersey, United States

This post is really helpful. I also got a call from this company and they don't told me about the job description or anything relevant. They just want to schedule the interview, & asked me to carry my resume with me and dress up professionally. Even i got the confirmation call from the same lady, & i said i won't b able to come, thanks for your unknown opportunity.

5 0 Reply

Feb 16 #1112630

Uh idk what world you Live in but who doesn't dress professional for an interview like have you ever had a job before seriously ? Just because they found your resume doesn't mean you shouldn't bring another one.

0 1 Reply

Feb 10 #1109765

Omg....I have an interview with them this week.

2 0 Reply

1-20 of 1324 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Bankers Life And Casualty Company. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Bankers Life And Casualty Company.
Filing a new complaint about
×