Newark, New Jersey
40K views 1331 comments

I was contacted by Bankers after they "picked up my resume on CareerBuilder" to be invited for an interview. Nothing wrong with that, however here are the warning signs:

1. The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script. She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

2. Initially I agreed to the interview however I asked for the following: (1) a position description of what they were looking for and (2) background about the company itself to be sent to me via e-mail. Neither ever arrived.

3. I was supposed to be contacted back the day prior to the "interview" to confirm. When I did not receive a call, I called them back. The same person who called me the first time answered and gave me the same sale pitch (almost verbatim) as during the initial contact. She seemed bothered by my questions and clearly wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible. When I said that I never got the e-mail with the information I promised, she asked me to "check my spam filter"... A warning in and of itself.

4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really? For an interview??) and to "bring my resume"

All in all, the above is a scam. When a company seeks you out based on your credentials and the resume you post, they don't ask you to "...dress professionally and bring your resume...". They either seek you out, have an opportunity and want you for that position or they don't. In this case, they are blanketing job sites and cold-calling job seekers. I don't know how it is to work for them, however based on the large number of complaints, this can't be a good place to work at. - If you are not convinced by my logic, here some guidelines in general:

- NEVER pay for your training. If a company asks you to pay to get trained then RUN!

- NEVER trust a company who asks you to bring your resume to an "interview". Your resume is supposedly how they found you in the first place so they will have it.

- NEVER trust a company who, after an initial contact, does not follow up with serious materials as to what they would want you to do including a detailed description of the job(s) they are trying to fill.

- NEVER trust a company that gives you a salary range of "80k to 200k" (as was the case here) for a position that does supposedly not involve sales.

I will not be going to my interview. To all those who choose to go: the best of luck and I hope they don't wast too much of your time.

Review about: Interview.

Review #192456 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Bankers Life And Casualty Company?

Comments

Karie
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States #1324750

I was called today and the lady mechanically told me the manager had seen my resume on Monster and was really interested.I posted it only yesterday.

She said the job was for manager and i told her i had no experience but she said they trained. We made an appointment for an interview for next week and she then told me to dress professionally. Huh????!!! Anyway she sent me a follow up email with the interview info.

I thought about it and saw reviews and decided to cancel. I will not do customer service and have no experience in sales. Replied to her email and the email came back as bad address. Sent 2 more and all came back.

Will call tomorrow.

I would say everyone beware of this company.Just don't trust them job wise.

Katkuba
Phoenix, Arizona, United States #1276982

The reason it is a salary range is because the job is selling insurance, and you make commissions on the insurance you sell and residuals once you have been there for a while.The reason they want another copy of your resume is this isn't a one-on-one interview.

It's more of an information session about insurance sales--they invite lots of different people and not everyone shows up. In this info session, they provide more information to you than they gather. It's a first step and will ask you back for a one on one interview depending on what you think about the job and what they think about you. Any costs with this would be for the state testing and certification to sell insurance required before you start, and possibly a small cost for a class on what you need to know to pass the test.

I took a class that cost me for about $30 that I completed in a couple of days online and passed the certification test on the first try. I never actually worked in insurance sales, though, because the commission based pay is intimidating in the beginning. A secretary at the agency calls lots of people about this and they call from the local office where the interview is generally.

She probably did have a script to start from and calls several people in a row and tells everyone the same thing.I have been to those interviews before.

to Katkuba #1301389

It's cattle call and no one who attends is asked anything about themselves. Bring a blank piece of paper, it will serve the same purpose. Btw: obviously BL needs to be upfront in ads and unsolicited phone calls that this is insurance sales and 100% commission.

Jen
California, United States #1263249

It's probably a Call Center and it could be in another

country as well.They may be paid to find allot of resumes

online and then schedule them for an interview with

someone who knows the position.

The Call Center

people will not know the details of the position. This

in itself is reason not to follow-up. I hate Call Centers. There are many jobs that pay the salary quoted.

I don't know what you occupation is. But you don't have to be in sales to have a good salary. What state are you in? In CA it would be odd to be told to dress professionally.

People wear blue jeans and anything they want here. I've been told to NOT wear any nice pants for an interview. I wore plain black straight pants and was out of place around everyone who was wearing jeans. I'm a female but they could also tell this to men.

If I feel suspicious with a call, email, website or anything else I will not follow-through. I've been in some unethical and dangerous situations in the past and now I'm over protective. Additionally, there could also be an HR Coordinator or a Sourcer calling you prior to your interview. I had a voicemail today from Bankers Life and wanted to do a search on them before I consider calling them.

Unless they are connected to an insurance company re fixing my auto, I won't be calling them.Thanks for your feedback.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada #1235365

Thank you for this comment -- you are right on.The same thing happened to me.

I told them that I would not show up unless I received more detailed information about the company via email.

Their email confirmation did not have a company name which was a big red flag and they never sent me anything else.

Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States #1228291

I'm glad I looked into this and google the number. And what made me do it was the fact the person who left me a message didn't tell me what company she was calling from. Big red flag to me

FA

1.The person contacting me sounded like she was reading from a script.

She was unable to give me meaningful background for the position.

So? I am wondering what exactly does this tell you? They are called recruiters. All companies use them.

Their job is to get you to an interview, or "briefing" if you will, not to hire you. That is the purpose of the briefing, to describe the job, tell you what all it entails, answer your questions, and see if you're interested in a second interview.

Neither ever arrived.

Why should they? You're the one looking for a job, not them. Again, that is the purpose of the briefing.

A warning in and of itself.

Wow, really? Someone telling you to check your spam filter is a warning? On what...

Darn that Chase mortgage scam. 4. The person I spoke to reminded me to "dress professionally" (really?

For an interview??) and to "bring my resume" No wonder you can't find a job, if you questions such small stuff as this.Your resume could have changed, and you'd be surprised how many college grads don't seem to know the basic skill of dressing appropriately for an interview.

to FA #1230819

1.BL does NOT use recruiters!

They use telemarketers/appt. setters who are indeed reading from a script and performing a function that even a child could do. Real recruiters do so much more and they most certainly can and will provide information about what they are recruiting for. Don't get it twisted, honey!

What legitimate company does not provide basic information? Do you not realize that during interviews or "briefings" as you call them, a smart applicant is evaluating the employer just as much as the employer is evaluating them! A legitimate employer doesn't want to waste their own time "briefing" candidates who are not suitable or won't be interested. That is NOT how a legit employer works!

3. An email going to a spam folder wouldn't necessarily be a red flag to me, but the "appt. setter" wanting to get me off the phone and not wanting to answer questions would definitely be a red flag! 4.

Did you bother to check the date of what you were replying to? It was written over 6 years ago! Yet, here you are taunting them about being unemployed! They never even stated in their complaint that they were unemployed.

A LOT of people gainfully employed continue to search for other opportunities.

A smart person is ALWAYS open to new and better opportunities.But, you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?!!!

to Anonymous Biddeford, Maine, United States #1317168

harsh

to Anonymous Los Angeles, California, United States #1325473

The truth hurts sometimes, sweetheart.